To sled or not to sled… that is the question. When you think of winter activities, the first things that come to mind are probably building snowmen, making snow angels, and having friendly snowball fights.
But what if it doesn’t snow? There are plenty of areas across our Aqua states that experience different types of winter weather, but they can have just as much fun! Whether or not it snows in your region, we’re here to think outside the box with creative winter activities to keep things fresh and fun for the whole family.
No Snow? No Problem
If you live in a place that never experiences snow or the winter season just isn’t delivering those picture-perfect snowy scenes, you can still make your own! All you need to make fake snow is two ingredients: baking soda and water.
Here's how to do it:
1. Pour 4 cups of frozen baking soda into a large bowl or container.
2. Slowly begin to add cold water to the baking soda and mix
3. Keep adding cold water until you reach your desired consistency
Spice up your snow day activities by adding snow paint into the mix! This easy, DIY recipe allows kids of all ages to use the whole yard as a canvas.
What you'll need:
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- Empty spray bottle
- Liquid food coloring
- Bowl and spoon
- Funnel (optional)
Whether you want to build a mini snowman or add some winter flair to your holiday decorations, this simple process is easy for kids to follow along and be a part of the magic. The frozen baking soda makes the fake snow cold to the touch, making it even more realistic.
- Mix cornstarch with water until you reach a milky consistency
- Add food coloring and stir until mixure is your desired color
- Carefully pour the mixture into a spray bottle (this is where the optional funnel comes in)
- Repeat the simple process with various colors
Now you’re ready to paint! Experiment with different spray settings and colors for a fun-filled snowy afternoon.
Speaking of snow, don’t forget to check out our guide to making your own snow globes for holiday decorations or gifts.
Have a safe and happy holiday season!